I finished. Yes, it's the last day, but I finished. I'm not going to do a detailed, well-thought out post. I'm just going to throw up some of my initial thoughts on finishing so I can read the much better posts written by everyone else.
- This book grabbed me from the start, but lost steam rather quickly. It suffers from the same issue as most of King's books (in my opinion)--there's too much back story, and it takes too long to get going. Also, too many words.
- The last 100 pages flew by, but up until then, I struggled. Every time I sat down to read it over the past week, I fell asleep within a few pages.
- I struggle with reading about physical abuse so right from the outset I was feeling a little uncomfortable.
- I think it's tough to get into a book when I don't care about the main characters. I despised Jack. He reminded me of Nick from Gone Girl. I didn't want to be in his head and hear how he really felt about women. It made me feel dirty.
- I understand that times were different, but I guess I can't see why Wendy would stay with a man who broke her child's arm. Lack of control and alcoholism do not a responsible husband and father make. You know? Why not walk away and find a job? She didn't have to go and live with her mom to get away.
- I was super pissed when I thought that Dick Halloran went all that way only to die before he could help in any way. So glad that I was wrong.
- I will not watch the movie because I am a wimp, but I'd imagine that it's much scarier than the book because for whatever reason, it didn't freak me out.
- Lastly, I just wanted to show you the cover below (I found it while looking at librarything) because it is probably one of the stupidest covers I've ever seen. So subtle. Ha.
This readalong was brought to you by the wonderful Jill over at Fizzy Thoughts. Can't wait for the next one. Under the Dome anyone?