Friday, February 25, 2011

Foodie Challenge February--Mac and Cheese


This month, I went for comfort food.  I've always wanted to make Macaroni and Cheese from scratch. I think the boxed stuff is kind of nasty.  I put it off because I always assumed it would be difficult.  My husbands co-worker gave him a recipe, and I was surprised by how easy it was.  Throw almost everything in and heat.  No making a roux like the other recipe I tried.  It's thickened with corn starch.

Mac and Cheese

1 2/3 cups dry macaroni, cooked and drained
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp white pepper
12 oz evaporated milk (or any combo of milk, cream or half and half)
1 cup water
2 tbsp butter
3 cups cheddar cheese or more

Preheat oven to 375.

1. Mix corn starch, salt, mustard, and pepper in medium saucepan.
2. Add milk, water, and butter.
3. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until it boils. Boil 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 to 2 1/2cups of cheese until melted.
5. Pour into buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is at your desired brownness.

As it came from an individual, I'm not sure of the original source.  I don't know where to give credit so I apologize in advance if I'm stepping on anyone's toes.

Look at my cheesy goodness!

It was so tasty.  I love how you can customize it.  I had leftover feta that needed to be used so I did a combination of feta and cheddar.  I made it in a round casserole dish, but next time I'll make it in a 13 x 9 pan.  That way you get more of the crunchy cheese on the top.  My family loved it.  There were no leftovers.  It's not the healthiest meal--more of a once in a while dish--but it's delicious!

Go check out more recipes.  Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting this month.

6 comments:

  1. You may have saved my marriage! (joking). Scott LOVES Mac and Cheese but I just can't seem to find a recipe that we both like. I'm definitely going to try this one out, though--maybe I can toss all those other Mac and Cheese recipes I've been collecting? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nymeth and christina!

    Trish--I hope you enjoy this recipe if you try it. If you don't and you find one you like more, you'll have to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Hi, Kristi!

    "Cheesy goodness" is right! That bowl looks delicious. =D

    I'm wondering if you served this with anything at the meal. When my family makes macaroni and cheese, it's usually as a side dish, because even with bacon bits or ham to give it more "personality," it's kind of monotonous on its own.

    On the other hand, if this one can stand as the entree (with crusty bread or a salad doing duty as the side dishes), then we'll probably be switching our recipe for yours!

    Thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enbrethiliel--I just served it with a vegetable, but I have kids that aren't big eaters. I think we had asparagus that night. The cheese I used was pretty rich and filling.

    It would probably work well as a side dish also. Ham sounds like a great pairing.

    ReplyDelete