Thursday, August 19, 2010

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

by James Finn Garner
published 1994
completed March 2010

This book takes the fairy tales that we grew up with, and twists them to satirize our politically correct culture.  Politically Correct Bedtime Stories is a quick read, but I found that it works better reading one story in a sitting.  Many of the jokes are similar from story to story so it loses some of its humor if you read them all at once.

I got a few good chuckles from this book but I don't think I would read it again.  I read it a while ago but from what I remember, the first few stories were the best.  Towards the end of the book, the jokes were kind of stale.  I would recommend this to anyone in the mood for a light humorous book.  I wouldn't recommend buying it, but borrowing it from a friend or the library.  This isn't a book for kids.  Not to say that there is anything offensive, but there are adult themes in some of the stories that I wouldn't want to explain to my small children.

I found this book while participating in the Take Another Chance Challenge 2: Blogroll Roulette.  I ended up using a blogroll that led me to this review by J.T. Oldfield at Bibliofreakblog.  It sounded like a fun read, so I picked it up.

2 comments:

  1. I could see that this book might get a little old if you read it all in one sitting.

    And in answer to your question, Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens are fine for the All in the Family part of the challenge!

    you are just flying through it, aren't you!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenners! Now I just have to read one Dickens and I'm done with that challenge.

    I read most of the books for the challenge earlier in the year but just never got around to starting my blog. Now I have to take a little break from reading while I catch up on all of the reviews I should have been doing all year.

    ReplyDelete